Friday 26 December 2014

My Adventures with God: Ch 31

Chapter 31: Back to the Drawing Board

Why had it all blown up? Why had we not been able to increase the size of the church and still have it stable? Why could we convert people to Christianity yet not have them in church? These and similar questions needed answers.

When I was studying engineering I quickly learned that studying failures led to advances. For instance one of the most repeated film clips in documentaries is that of the failure of the Tacoma Narrows bridge in Seattle. It is a dramatic example of forced (by wind in this case) vibration. It is great footage. The suspension bridge writhes snake-like until it finally shakes itself to pieces. Actually a young engineer had warned soon after it was built that given a certain wind strength and direction this would happen. He was dismissed as a nut case. After the failure of the bridge, his work was re-visited! Wind bracing then became standard on large bridges. The engineering world had learned something important from this failure.

This phenomenon of learning important lessons from studying failures is seen in all branches of engineering – and probably most spectacularly in air crash investigations advancing aircraft safety.

In our church we had run a dynamic revival, something rarely seen in those days in Anglican country parishes. People with no church connection had come to faith in Christ. ... But ... Firstly we had not been able to bring the new converts into the existing church structures. Secondly the parish had all spectacularly blown up.

We realised that if, like many career minded ministers we had moved on to a more prestigious parish while things were going well, we would have looked successful and the inevitable blow-up would have happened later and been blamed on the next minister. We could have (and perhaps many clergy have) gone through many parishes making the same mistakes and sowing the same seeds for disaster each time. In his mercy God had kept us there to see the outworking of the mistakes. So we believed it was our duty to find out why.

So, once we started to recover I set out to do some research.

Since we had no difficulty converting people, I decided the problem lay in the area of human rather than spiritual factors. (Apart from the triple whammy attack by the devil described earlier. The books and seminars on church growth had not prepared us for that attack, but we had since then worked out the lessons). So I set myself to study sociology and especially the sociology of churches.

I need to do a flash back here to show why I thought I was the sort of person who could find out anything valuable, or find any solutions. The answer lay in my past experiences working as an engineer.

Theologians and other theorists can indulge themselves in fantastical theories in their ivory towers – they can hardly ever be proved wrong. They don’t have to stare reality in the face. Engineers do not survive long if they believe post-modern rubbish like “truth is relative” or “language has no objective meaning". ... Reality always wins!

Kids playing at “Superman” and jumping off the garage roof have universally found that gravity puts a painful end to their pretence. Engineers likewise deal with the real world where if you are wrong the laws of physics will tell you so, sometimes very painfully. I had been trained to think under this discipline. I also knew I had a track record for getting it right. It was not pride, it just was. Let me illustrate.

I first worked in a government department that designed buildings that were more in the “special projects” line. I was in mechanical building services – air conditioning, noise control, any anything else “mechanical”. It soon became apparent that while I still had a vast amount to learn from the older engineers (and even the draughtsmen!) about the art of air conditioning, I had this quirky ability to solve baffling problems and to be able to invent new things where needed. So if there was something outside the square, I got called in. If I then left the office (we were right in the city) and spent a few hours wandering round the botanic gardens sniffing the roses, no one minded. They I knew I would come back with a problem solved.

Just one anecdote.

We were designing a new printing works for the Reserve Bank. Yes, printing money! This needed a vault which would hold about three months worth of Australia’s currency – at that stage paper money had a short life in circulation before it was so tatty that banks sent then back to be exchanged for new notes. The bank was understandably concerned about security. A successful theft of that magnitude could cripple the country.

One day our chief engineer showed me a proposal for this vault by a world famous safe company. “Look at this” he said “but don’t worry about the details of the vault door. Bank-vault doors are just a trap for young players; any smart thief goes for the wall.”

I read their glowing accounts of the performance of their patent system of vault wall reinforcement. My attention was grabbed by the assertion: “One third of an ounce of pure Nitro-glycerin exploded on the surface had no ill effect” This made me suspicious. So I studied up on explosives and called up a relative who was in army intelligence and quizzed him (he was most enlightening). My suspicions were confirmed.

For fun I drew a cartoon of how I would crack this vault if I were a thief (terrorists were not an issue then). I had it lying on my drawing board when one of the Reserve Bank chiefs walking past chanced to see it. He was not amused! But I was given funding to have a model of a safe manufacturer’s device for ventilating the vault and a model of a device I had invented and have them tested as part of tests being done by army engineers. After the sappers had done their work they picked up pieces of the safe manufacturer's device 200 metres away. Attacking my device they cut into it and exploded five kilograms of plastic explosive (so much for a third of an ounce of Nitro-glycerin!) as I intended, it “failed to safety” leaving only a hairline crack in the vault wall.

My point is that from that and many other escapades I knew I had proven ability to research new disciplines and come up with solutions that worked!

So I set out to study and apply Sociology.

I read the renowned “fathers” of sociology, Weber and Durkheim. I took my self off to the nearest university library pouring over books. I took a course at the university taught by noted sociologist who was also an Anglican priest. I talked to him and he set me a reading list, even lending me some of his own books.

It was absolutely fascinating! The top sociologists were remarkable people. I remember avidly reading one sociological study of a small town 70 km outside Washington DC made some 30 years earlier. The team had visited the town over many months, looked at all the institutions and groups and just looked and listened until they understood. Then they wrote it up.

As I read a verbatim of a church council meeting I found I could do more than identify with it, I could put names of people in my parish council to the ones whose words were recorded in the book. They were just the same! It was just what they would say! (and often had said!)

When I read about the town groups and how it all worked it was just like Koo-wee-rup (which was a town the same size the same distance from the big city, likewise a farming area - just in Australia and 30 years later!) It was a revelation.

One thing I will mention – and it is why I commented that the men in our church “rebellion” had all been Masons. The study observed that the Masonic Lodge had men in key positions in every church in town “whose apparent function was to control the minister” – the sociologists were not making a religious or value judgement – just a scientific observation. An observation which was particularly relevant to me!

I went on to read sociology of churches – works like David Moberg’s classic and some Australian studies of rural church life. From the latter I found out why I had met opposition from the stakeholders in the church as it had been. The sense of “Identity” for people like Jan (and others) was strongly bound up in their church leadership role. Any change to the church let alone their role was a threat to their sense of “identity”. They might not be able to see let alone verbalise this as the reason. But they would fight to the death to protect their vital sense of identity. It was, the books informed me, no surprise I had encountered hostility and opposition. One book I recall was titled “Conflict and Decline - Rural Churches in Australia”. According to their findings, the real surprise was that I had survived! In their studies, ministers who had tried what I had tried had uniformly perished in the attempt (generally suffering a breakdown in their health and/or marriage and leaving the ministry). So now I knew!

From Moberg I found even more fascinating things. The problems country churches were facing in my part of Australia were not new. They had happened (probably many times) before. Here were studies of exactly the problems we were facing. Here were studies of the various solutions which had been tried, analysis built up from many case studies that pointed to which solutions worked and which made things worse. It was a gold mine!

In country Victoria rural churches were in decline. The situation was universally acknowledged as most serious. Bishops were lamenting the decline of country parishes and wringing their hands and running around saying “What will we do in this new frightening situation”

I don’t know why but the bishops and church leaders, faced with a new perplexing problem never stopped to think that someone might have faced this problem before. They held endless conferences but never wondered if better minds than theirs might have actually found a solution. They never considered that someone somewhere might already have invented the wheel!

I tried to tell the head ministers in our diocese that I had done some research and found that our problem was neither new nor unique. I told them that up to 50 years ago these same problems had occurred, had been researched, and that solutions had been found, tried and proven in the US. I tried to tell them that the solutions they were putting into practice were precisely the ones which had been found make the situation worse. As with the young engineer who tried to tell the experts that the Tacoma Narrows bridge would fail, I was dismissed as a nut case.

How could I prove that I was right?



No comments:

Post a Comment