Tuesday 4 November 2014

William Wilberforce's 1779 book

New series starting next 
Yes, I am giving my morals blogs a rest for a while.

Instead I am going to post my condensed and modern language “translation” of a really great book on Christianity – which which seems to me to speak to the problem we face in Western Christianity much today as it did when it was first written in 1779.

The book is by the great anti-slavery campaigner in England from the 1770's to the 1820's: William Wilberforce.

PS If you don't know about Wilberforce you should watch a DVD of the blockbuster film “Amazing Grace”

You will guess why I am condensing his book and trying to put it into modern English (except for some short extracts) when I tell you its title:

A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, In the Middle and Higher Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity London 1779


No comments:

Post a Comment