Saturday 21 December 2013

My Adventures with God : Back to Church

Back to Church

After a lapse of a couple of years I plucked up courage and went back to Turramurra Methodist church. This time it was social and peer contact that I was desperate for, so I went to the evening service where all the young people went.

The one thing I remember from the first service I attended: I noticed a girl. Yes it was the “across a crowded room” thing as in the song in old musical “South Pacific”. I though God said:“That’s the one you are going to marry”.

The second week I asked someone who she was. They said “Sue Wright”. Well it may be corny but I thought “Ah, my Miss Right”.

Well, being painfully shy it took several months for me to pluck up courage to ask her out on a date. But finally I did, she accepted, and we went out to dinner. As I recall it was the “early” sitting of the popular Pymble Eating House. We got on so well we talked through both sittings.

Before I go on let me say that now I know that if God gives a future goal or prediction one then prays “OK God, I’m in, what do you want me to do about it”. Sometimes of course he is going to make it happen and is just telling you the end so that you can hang in during the bumpy ride to get there. Other times he is letting you know what he would like you to accomplish by the normal methods yourself. I didn’t know that then. I didn’t know much about anything then – least of all, about women.

In my ignorance I simply told Sue that I was going to marry her. I couldn’t quite understand why she took it so badly! She had already agreed to go on a second date and being a person of her word she did, but she made it quite clear that it was to be the last date too!

Christmas holidays came and went. To my surprise when term started who should I see on the train but Sue. I was now in 4th year engineering at Sydney University. Sue had been a first year at New South Wales University the year before but had just transferred to Sydney. It was a strange year. Sue was “going out” with a really nice boy from our church youth fellowship, John Derrin. Yet every day she was spending time with me on the train and having coffee with me at uni (I was on a cadet-ship and could afford to bribe her with free coffee). But you understand she wasn’t talking to me!

By the end of the year I was doing a lot of talking to God about it! Mostly along the lines that he had made a big mistake! I thought he kept saying that I would marry Sue; but from my viewpoint it did not look likely to happen. He also started saying I was going to be a minister.

By the start of next year (1972) I was working, it was fun, life was great, except no girlfriend and I was becoming convinced the “marry Sue” bit was a mistake

Meanwhile I had been helping out in the junior youth group at church, occasionally joining in the activities of the senior youth group – which were my peers, and studying for the local preacher’s exams.

The Methodist church was then (and still is) going through a “liberal” phase. The books I had to read for the local preacher’s exams were all by liberal theologians. These assured innocents like myself that, among other things, the “virgin birth” was a myth, Jesus was just a good man who taught wise things but didn’t mean to get himself killed, and certainly didn’t physically rise from the dead. His body was “still lying in some Palestinian grave” one author assured us. Prayer was “of course” just talking to your inner self. I did try to read what I could find of other theology books, but it seemed that the more letters the author had after their name (which I naively thought meant they really knew something) the more they doubted the Christianity I had been brought up to believe. Of course I know now that their doubt is their problem (possibly one should say “the sin that they have encouraged to control their lives instead of God”).

The other thing I noticed was this: in my younger days I had just read the Bible. Now I was being encouraged to read books about the bible. Soon it was a case of reading books instead of the bible. I thought I was learning more and more about Christianity when in fact I was being shepherded further and further away from it. It was the spiritual equivalent of someone leaving a lush well watered oasis and chasing a mirage further and further out into the parched sands of a desert.

One thing which helped me wake up to what was happening was being presented to the local preachers’ meeting of our circuit. These were crusty old saints who had no time for the liberal modernism of some of the ministers. One struck me to the quick, although he possibly never knew it. I don’t remember that he even said anything; I think he just looked at me. But in that look was … well something that shot me through. I think it was disdain, maybe pity, certainly it conveyed that I was, to him, a non-believer. It hurt, it was like a splinter under the skin that kept niggling at me. In the providence of God, it saved me.


To cut a long story short I did apply for the Methodist ministry. I was rejected, very kindly, on the psychological report that my diffident nature was better suited to dealing with machines than people. That was the second thing I had though God was saying to me that appeared to come to nothing. In a way that was a relief. I was “off the hook” so to speak and I could with a good conscience enjoy carving a career as an engineer, which was rather good fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment