Sunday 8 December 2013

Church Hunting - My Adventures with God Ch.2

                                         Church Hunting.

After failing baptism classes twice I got the message! I also had this sort of inner compulsion to take a serious look at other churches.

First up was the local Anglican church. A very pretty sandstone neo-gothic building just a few hundred yards from where I lived. The Adventist church I had attended was always full of peiople. I used to get there ten minutes early so that I could get a front seat. The Anglican church up the road was not like that. I did arrive ten minutes early and found no trouble getting a front seat, I was the only one there. Eventually maybe a dozen elderly people drifted in and sat right up the back.

The service was 'Morning Prayer” from the 1662 Prayer Book. Anglican readers may not see any problem with this. That, even a generation ago, was part of their problem! They did not see how foreign it was to anyone not brought up to it!

Certainly in the Adventist services we used books. One took one's own Bible and Hymn book, and there were spares for any who did not have their own. In the Anglican Church there were hymn books, so far so good, but there was also the Prayer Book. Definitely not, in modern parlance “user friendly”.

I did manage to find “Morning Prayer” - perhaps the page number was on the hymn board.

However the service is not contiguous in the Prayer Book. The collect for the day – is in a totally different part of the Prayer Book. Then there are the canticles. For instance after the first reading there is the heading TE DEUM LAUDAMUS … and the Te Deum canticle follows. After the Te Deum if you had time to read the minuscule print rubrics it says “or this canticle” and the Benedicite, Omnia Opera is printed. So old chums know that if the minister leads into the Te Deum then you read that and then flick over a couple of pages past the Benedicite. Or if he starts saying “All ye works of the Lord …” then you flick past the Te Deum to the Benedicite.

After the second reading the process is repeated with saying either the Benedictus or the Jubilate Deo.

Simple if you know it. Totally bewildering if this is your first time in an Anglican church! And if you are 15 years old: embarrassment unlimited!

But wait there's more! There was an incessant cycle of standing, sitting and kneeling. If you are brought up to that liturgy it is doubtless obvious when you should be doing what. If you are new to it, and worse right up the front where you have to continually turn around to see which of the three positions everyone else is adopting now it is 'embarrassment unlimited' squared!

At one point the minister came down and gave me a prayer book open at the right place. A kind thought, but it didn’t help!

Needless to say I did not go back !

However this inner push to search for a church was still there. I decided on a cunning plan. I would catch the train into the city and go to any of the large city churches where I could be safely anonymous. Oh, and I would sit right up the back!

I started doing this. Systematically I went round different denominations. St. Andrew’s (Anglican) cathedral, Central Methodist mission, Congregational, Presbyterian. I think I tried a more local Baptist church. They all seemed much the same. Well the trimmings were different, but underneath they seemed the same.

All this time I had a nagging inner push to try a particular local church. I held out resolutely against this intuition. I knew where the church was. it was at Turramurra (next station up the railway line) in the street that had the Masonic hall on the corner. I didn’t know what denomination it was, and I didn’t look. I just held out and kept going into the city where no-one knew me. This went on, I think, for about eighteen months.

Eventually I gave in to my nagging compulsion and went to this local church. It turned out to be a Methodist church. When I went in it was full. Oldies, parents, young children (the “youth” were absent only because they went to the evening service). I felt it at once: I was home.

From the surprised look on the minister’s face when I shook hands at the door after the service and said “I want to join your church” I may have been unusually forthright. After a pause he stammered that they would probably be having confirmation classes in the fall. A matron behind me was quicker and hurried to explain that I really should try the evening service since all the people my age went to it. In general, top marks to her, but in this case I wasn’t looking for young people, I was looking for a spiritual family. I had just found it.

I was baptised and confirmed in that church on 23rd April 1967. I can fix that date because I have got out the certificate and had a look! I had just turned 18, and my sister Louise, who at that stage had chucked religion completely, came to the service. My parents and older brother were overseas (separately) stationed in Malaysia with the Air Force.

It may seem as though I was finally safely on the spiritual path. That is generally about the time young Christians get tripped up. If you have not read C. S. Lewis' quirky book about the trials of a new Christian “the Screwtape Letters” do read it!

Spiritual trials, pitfalls and disaster were just around the corner for me too.


No comments:

Post a Comment