Sunday 8 June 2014

My Adventures with God Ch.9: Bullies


Ch 9:  at Moore College Pt 2 : Bullies

I was about to get right up the noses of some powerful people. Meanwhile God was a few steps ahead and was turning up some very supportive friends.

I don't like bullies. I was bullied at school. That may be behind it. I also think the strong should protect the weak, not prey on them. I would like to think that is part of why I stand up to bullies.

I mostly just suffered in silence when I was bullied as a youngster. Twice the bully went over some line invisible even to me and I found hidden strengths.

First occasion was in sixth grade. The bully in question was going to beat me up in front of a crowd during playtime. I only know this because I remember even after all these years the sea of kids parting as I stood there and he advanced towards me. I landed the first and only punch of the bout and he went down howling and clutching his eye. That landed us both in the headmaster's office.

The second was a couple of years later. High school, but I don't remember which grade. The bully had me backed against a brick wall that had just been built. There was a stack of bricks beside it and he made the mistake of picking one up and making as if to hit me with it. In those days we all wore neck-ties. I reached up and tightened his – the results were really dramatic, and landed me in another headmaster's office.

Moore College, and much of Sydney Diocese was strongly Calvinist and Calvinism is one of the many -ism's that provide a haven for bullies. Sydney diocese had its share of 'hard-men' who found they liked feeling they were really doing God a service while being mean to people.

Moore trained ordinands for a couple of dioceses as well as the Presbyterian Church and some independent students. The Sydney diocese candidates had no contact with the diocese from one year's end to another. Candidates for Armidale diocese were much better treated. Their bishop, although he lived five hundred kilometres from Sydney – was a frequent visitor to Moore. He visited his trainees in their campus homes, he was often seen in the street talking to students who found him a source of encouragement.

But, at each years end Sydney candidates were summoned one-by-one to an inquisition. This was not a friendly chat. This was a grilling before three assistant bishops and two representatives of the evangelical party which controlled the diocese. We had been warned by more senior students what it would be like. We also knew that many would be rejected and told to remove themselves from their college houses forthwith. The rejects would be left feeling that as Christians they were scrap-heap material.

Fore-warned is not always fore-armed. I saw the man who had been interviewed before me come out in tears. A grown man! A man with a wife and children. A man who had sacrificed his career to offer for the ordained ministry. A man I knew as a fine human being and a devout Christian. A man in tears because he had been worked over by bullies.

I thought: “You bastards! I am going to give you as good as I get!” and I did.

I would have been out but for Bishop Kerle. He had allowed to return to Sydney from being bishop of Armidale on the condition that he would stay out of diocesan politics. He was our minister at St Swithun's Pymble. But he was also known throughout the diocese as a powerful man of God. He stepped up and interceded with the archbishop on my behalf. So a stay of execution was granted.

There were conditions. We had been living in my old family home in leafy Pymble, we had to move onto campus and rent one of the college houses in grimy Newtown. I had been attending St Swithun's as a parishioner. Now I had to find a new church that would take me on as a 'catechist' – a theological student who worked in the parish on Sundays, and generally one session during the week.

God was to use this to bring us new friends and allies. I was going to need them.




No comments:

Post a Comment